What is AOC Community Media's Mission?
Building an engaged and informed community through media, technology and education.
In the early years of the television cable industry, legislation was passed requiring cable companies to provide access channels for Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) use. 1982, Acadiana Open Channel became the local access point for Public, Educational and Government (PEG) use in Lafayette Parish. More than 35 years later, the now AOC Community Media is a vital part of Acadiana’s infrastructure serving its residents, local government, schools and nonprofits on a daily basis. These groups use AOC to create their non-commercial messages and then to distribute this information to the community. As a 501(c)3 organization, AOC supports its community in a number of different ways.
- We give residents access to digital media equipment and television studios so they can express their opinions and creativity freely.
- We educate our community through workshops, online resources and an experienced staff.
- We teach local students how to understand what they see in media and how to use media equipment to be creators of content themselves.
- We air local government and school board meetings to keep our community informed and engaged.
- We support local nonprofits by giving them airtime and resources to build awareness of their causes.
- We actively work to document and archive activities and important events in our community.
In all of our efforts, AOC seeks to preserve our community’s ability to express its opinions and creativity freely. AOC supports your Freedom of Speech rights granted by First Amendment of the United States Constitution. AOC exists to provide the following to Lafayette Parish:
An equitable platform for all citizens’ right to free speech promised by the First Amendment
Non-commercial distribution for locally produced content
Production education resources and professional development opportunities
Media literacy education
A cultural archive
Community service to local government, schools and nonprofits
A platform for community dialogue
A hub for the local media production community
Access to production facilities and equipment
AOC is committed to the ethical operation of our organization. We will treat our donors, staff and members of the community with respect, and be open about our finances and policies. AOC is committed to providing high-quality service that is distinctive and responsive to the needs and interests of our communities.
We provide a public service and have a public service mission.
We protect everyone’s first amendment rights from individual judgements or governmental influence.
We strive for diversity of inclusion both in our own arena and throughout the community.
We provide information that might otherwise not be available anywhere.
We strive to provide excellence in all of our services.
We are only as good as the people we serve.